Shocking scenes broke out earlier this week in New York after a media event, ahead of UFC 223. The UFC’s most prolific fighter Conor McGregor and his entourage, lead an attack towards a coach packed with professional fighters.
The 29-year-old Irishman is said to have been enraged after his close friend and teammate was on the end of an uncomfortable confrontation. Rival Khabib Nurmagomedov, along with his team cornered his friend, Artem Lobov. It believed that they were asking for former UFC lightweight champion.
In what was a brave show of loyalty, McGregor amongst others stormed into the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, going on to smash the coach of Khabib. A trolley was initially used before then attempting to do further damage with a metal barrier. Needless to say, the man who became the first UFC star to have possession of two world titles simultaneously, reacted in chaotic fashion to his friend being singled out. After the awful events broke out, several fighters that were primed to be in action at UFC 223, unfortunately, had to withdraw. This was a result of the injuries which were sustained after the attack.
Fighters Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg both suffered injuries, severe enough to keep them from action Saturday night. Chiesa picked up several facial cuts, whilst Borg sustained an eye injury. As a result, they’ve also been pulled from the event.
Lobov was originally scheduled to fight in a featherweight contest against Alex Caceres. This is now, no longer the case after the Russian was pulled from the event. He was among the substantial number of assailants helping McGregor.
Well respected MMA reporter Ariel Helwani, tweeted on Thursday comments that were made when he spoke to Khabib. The following was said: “I am laughing inside. You broke window? Why? Come inside. If you real gangster why don’t you come inside? This is big history gangster place. Brooklyn. You want to talk to me? Send me location. I am going to come. No problem.
I just spoke to @TeamKhabib. Story coming.
“I am laughing inside. You broke window? Why? Come inside. If you real gangster why don’t you come inside? This is big history gangster place. Brooklyn. You want to talk to me? Send me location. I am going to come. No problem.”
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) April 5, 2018
It seems that Khabib was far from impressive by the actions taken from McGregor. There had been a lot of rumours in past months that perhaps the two may fight and settle their differences in the octagon. But that may now be completely off the UFC’s agenda. McGregor, hasn’t featured in the UFC bout before he turned his attention to boxing, where he fought with Boxer Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather. Now, his long-awaited return looks to be in Jeopardy.
When speaking with ESPN, UFC President Dana White questioned whether McGregor’s actions may have affected his business attraction. He said: “Do you want to be in business with Conor McGregor right now? Do you want to chase this guy around for interviews and buy his fights? Do you? I don’t think anybody is going to want to right now”.
The American also made it clear in a press conference that McGregor would be stripped of his title. White confirmed the news by saying: “The only one that’s losing a belt here is Conor. Conor is losing the belt. These two are fighting for the belt”.
Following the incident on Thursday, McGregor and his accomplices fled the scene. Leaving no option but for there to be a warrant issued for his arrest. He later voluntarily turned himself into the police, where he was arrested, then charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief. The judge demanded a bail of $50,000 and set a court date of June 14 2018.